Thursday 9 May 2024

Oooo matron.

 “Just a little prick” Of course that isn’t what she said, but Carry On films do tend to remain in the memory, at least in mine. It was indeed just a little prick but then she pushed in the plunger and my upper arm muscle was invaded by a cold pressure that made me think about all the injections I have endured over the years. 


Earliest memories were those of the 1950s. I contracted TB at the age of 3, and although most memories of that time are sketchy to say the least. I do remember clearly the daily injections of streptomycin, the antibiotic of choice for those of us lucky enough to have picked up the TB bacillus.  Being stuck in bed was bad enough but each morning, a trolley came round, bottoms were bared and pain was delivered. No-one mentioned a little prick, though it would have been lost on me at that age, and it most certainly wasn’t small.


Today was the latest in a line of Covid vaccinations, which are meant to protect us oldies from the worst effects. For all I know, that syringe could have contained iced water that Modena claim to be a vaccine. Would we know any different?  I have benefitted from all the offered vaccinations and yet still wound up in hospital with Covid. 


Anyhow I digress, this was oldies day at a pharmacy some five miles from here. I arrived ten minutes early and found the pharmacy packed with hundreds of years experience and poorly functioning bodies.  Checking in at the counter, my innate optimism suggested that a long wait was a strong probability. However, within minutes I was called in, identified and Modernised; I was out of the place before my appointment was due, slightly sore but pleasantly surprised.

No comments: