Sunday 29 April 2007

Halleluja

I always maintain that if one has nothing to say, then one should not say it. However this is rather different, as it is unlikely that anyone else would read what i have to say. I can treat this a some sort of cathartic device and quite happily ramble to myself.
I have a student who comes to me for lessons once a week. She is a lovely, polite, and enthusiastic learner who is getting a bad deal at her high school. I know a lot of kids say that but I know that she is telling the truth as I am well aware of the dire state of that particular school. Anyway, she is a musician and has a broad taste, so I gave her a disc of some of my favourite songs the other day. It's always nice to share some common ground with students. Today I received an email with a song attached. She liked Tim Buckley's recording of the Leonard Cohen song Allelujah so much that she decided to try it herself. It nearly took my breath away - her voice is so mature and her interpretation quite amazing. Not only that, she accompanied herself on the guitar, an instrument that she has only just started to learn. I am writing this because it was a wonderful start to the day, to have a favourite song made more so by the effort and talent of one so young. I take my hat off to the youth of today - there are so many wonderful people in the making.

No comments: