Saturday 9 February 2008

China

I have an apology to make. In a recent blog I complained about a DNA, and wittered about responsibility etc etc. I have just remembered that the student involved is away on a holiday. He had in fact told me but I had failed to write it down and hence forgot.
My memory is getting worse i know, probably too much wine blended with too many years. I can remember things if I really make an effort but sometimes things just pass me by.
Anyway there it is - i am sorry and will make sure next time that I have at least some of the facts right.

I made a resolution today. Never to buy anything that is made in China. Never ever again. I spent this morning trying toassemble a dining suite for a friend. It is smart and stylish and came in flat packs. The table looks lovely and when we find the legs for it I am sure that it will suit him down to the ground. As it is, down to the ground right now, it is pretty useless.

It came with six chairs - also flatpacked in some Bejing sweatshop. I spent at least an hour and a half attempting to assemble the parts into a sturdy dining chair. Note - One .....king chair. The last nut, integral to the whole thing would not go in. My fingers are so sore from trying to bend the chair to accommodate that last piece. It would have been so good if all the holes had been drilled to the right tolerances and in the right places, but that would have required the engineering skills that China seems to be missing.

They seem very good at copying western designs, and making replicas so much cheaper that can be done over here. Unfortunately it may be cheap but on the whole it seems to be turning out to quite nasty too.

My fingers hurt and there are still four chairs yet to build. He can wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FLAT PACK
By
John G. Sutton

Wife wanted some new stuff in't bedroom
A wardrobe with drawers to complete
So she dragged me screamin' 't warehouse
An' bought what she said was just reet

In't showroom it looked proper gradely
All pine with a polish on 't top
Her said it was just what she wanted
So who am I fot' say stop?

The salesman was really quite helpful
Though he gave me a look I thought queer
Then missus she pulled out me cheque book
Said 'we'll tak' it, no messin' sign here'

It were then that I knew the expression
O't salesmen, the crafty old sod
Was one of quiet amusement
As if he knew summat was odd

'Your goods are all sealed in a flat pack'
He said with a glint in his eye
It was then that my heart began sinking
Poor bugger to fix it was I

So we get this flat pack 't motor
But could we it inside?
It wur a nine foot wide wardrobe
Smashed car rear door as we tried

At home with me fingers all bleeding
I'd trapped them twixt wall and that pack
I wur already wishin' an' prayin'
She'd let me tak' bugger straight back

But my troubles had not even started
If only I'd this known before
I'd have chucked that flat pack furniture
And not let it through me front door

The instructions were written in English
Least I recognised most of the words
But the directions and diagrams differed
And the drawings were really absurd

I counted the nuts and the widgets
The bolts and the dowling and screws
The glue and the side clasps and hangers
This really was very bad news

The missus she stood there arms folded
Inspecting the contents with glee
'yon salesman said it were easy'
For Einstein perhaps, but not me!

Me glasses they soon got steamed up like
I'd getten a sweat on me brow
Struggling, grunting and trying
To fix it together, but how?

The drill holes in side 'A' were missing
That or just too small to see
I broke a screw in the end flange
By now I was ready fot' dee'

There were bits here and theer on the carpet
The dog ate the glue and was sick
Me missus she turned var near purple
Yelling and calling me thick!

In the end I could take it no longer
I took axe and chopped it to bits
An' burnt bloody lot in't garden
Me missus was 'avin' real fits

Then I went to t' best shop in city
An' bought new again off the floor
It were fitted and all put together
No flat pack for us anymore

We've geet that new stuff in our bedroom
A wardrobe with drawers fitted in
An if thy can fathom flat packing
Tha'rt a better man than me Gungha Din!