Friday 21 August 2009

Returning to normality


One of the things about holidays is that as soon as you come back, everything slips back to normal and it is as if the trip never happened. The memories are there as are the gaping holes in the bank account, and I fear that I may be getting another reminder in the form of a speeding ticket, but I will hold my breath on that one. Dammit I didn’t see the camera or the change in speed limit because of a bloody camper van, but I won’t start on about those.

Since returning, I haven’t been out of the house other than to potter in the garden, and for that I am quite happy. Having said that I have still managed to continue the spendfest, ordering books and movies about the first and second world wars. The 3sheer vastness of those undertakings made a big impression on me and I fully intend to find out more about what went on.

I have been in touch with an old school friend; someone that I haven’t seen in 40 years, and that has been a revelation. She sent me a photograph of a school trip that we must have taken in the sixth form, and although I recognise all of the people in the shot, I have no recollection of the event whatsoever. That is disturbing as I have such crystal clear memories of days at school. Now I doubt the validity of those memories and am beginning to think that some may be artificial, mere figments of my imagination. We do tend to remember what we choose to remember and conveniently forget events that are not pleasant or that are in some way negative. I hope that I don’t see the past through “rose coloured glasses” but my communications with Kate have made me think, and reassess my thoughts. I hope that she will be able to fill in some blanks and lend a little accuracy to my accounts. Time, I guess, will tell.

No comments: