Friday 30 October 2009

Facial hair

November, or should I say Movember is fast approaching and I will be cultivating a new friend for 30 days. I had facial hair as a young man and my moustache was a big one. It wasn't until my kids were teenagers that they first saw me without one. Facial hair is a strange business altogether. Shaving in itself is a most unnatural procedure and not one that I am altogether fond of, though i do keep my growth down to a fairly acceptable level. Copious bushy growths may look interesting but they also pose certain health risks. Anything passing into or out of, and maybe even close to the mouth, run the risk of getting trapped and withouth careful grooming, a face can become a repository for all sorts of delicacies. Fortunately I am not allowed, according to the rules to grow a beard. That would be too easy - just not shaving is a bit of a luxury. A moustache has be be nurtured and encouraged, shaving around the area and trimming strays with sharp scissors.

My major concerns here are one - that I will end up with a pure white monstrosity under my nose, and that two - I will end up getting attached to it. The last one stayed with me for 20 years but I doubt that i have anywhere near that long to mature this one.

My thanks to anyone who has taken the trouble to donate to the charity, or even to acknowledge that it exists. I hope that Anne has little success with her attempts; testosterone may have other more unpleasant side effects! :-)

No comments: