Friday 31 December 2010

The end of a decade


The last day of 2010 and millions of people around the world will be anticipating a night of celebration. For many that will mean dressing up and setting out to get as drunk as they possibly can, ensuring that the start to the new year will be as painful and unpleasant as the last one and the one before that.
David Cameron assures us that 2011 will be a tough year, but that his machinations will see the country slowly recover and get back onto its feet. There speaks one who has never known what it is like to be poor, jobless and helpless. For many of those who voted for him, 2010 has been a year of misery, and the next year promises more of the same. When the energy bills come in after this cold winter, even more will find their wages insufficient to pay the bills.
For me 2010 has been a good year, largely due to the birth of Oscar, and an ability to play a small role in his life. His arrival has changed so many things and has given me a completely new focus. I had no preconceptions about grandparenthood and was rather unprepared for the bonding that took place from the first time that I met him. He has given me a new lease of life, and I view his growing up and development with an enthusiasm that feels rather wonderful. He just had his first christmas, and although he was pretty oblivious to the whole thing, he added a magical ingredient to my least favourite time of year.
I hope that your year has been a good one and that despite the mismanagement of our countries by self seeking politicians, that you can find happiness and optimism in the New Year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really glad you had a wonderful time with Oscar:)and I am extremely happy for you and your new lease of life. It was wonderful to read your lines as one can easily feel your enthusiasm about grandparenthood:)

Forget politicians...see..we are heading towards dictatorship...yet..we have to face the fact that we are too small to change what happens in politics. We do not know what happens behind the scenes either. We will be kept in dark, no matter which country we live in. But I do hope that we are able to choose our attitude towards life. Life is much more than materialism, consumerism and politics...and you enjoy this journey again thanks to the arrival of Oscar. I wish you and your loved ones a Happy New Year:) XXX Lilly

Anonymous said...

*keep in the dark..sorry:) It is getting late here..so I make much more mistakes than usual:)