Monday 28 February 2011

To move or not to move

Living on an island has both advantages and disadvantages. By and large the advantages outweigh the alternative unless of course you want to go anywhere. The mounting cost and the inconvenience of the ferry is becoming a real issue and the time is coming when the pull of the mainland is beginning to exceed the magnetism of life overseas.
The prospect of selling and buying all over again does not appeal though, and as spring begins to wake up, i am seeing all of the things that need doing before even considering putting the house on the market.
Apart from the upheaval, there is the gamble involved in moving to somewhere new. At present I enjoy a great deal of isolation, peace and quiet. Interactions with neighbours are minimal and I can go for days without seeing anyone. There is no traffic noise, no sounds from the neighbourhood and a house that by and large suits my needs. To find somewhere that meets those specifications, would be most fortunate, and I realise that many compromises must be made. I am not sure that I want to renovate another house. My body and mind are not really up to that and there is no bottomless pit of cash either.
What is clear though, is that ties to the Island are becoming fewer and further between and that this is probably the right time to consider a final move. Over the next few months I must give this serious consideration as I am sure that there will be things that I have not thought about.

No comments: