Tuesday 25 September 2012

I have relocated to Skyrim.

I like computer games. There I have made my first confession of the day and no-one is there to absolve me.
My current obsession is a game called Skyrim. I  read about it in a sunday paper and thought that it looked rather intriguing and spectacular. I bought it and was not disappointed. Unlike many first person shooter games, there is no shooting but a lot of barbaric sword play, or in my case bludgeoning opponents with a two handed war axe. It lacks subtlety but is more effective for one with diminished reaction times. Also unlike many games, it is not linear. There is no preset pathway to follow and the world of Skyrim is huge and worthy of exploration. There are quests, and these can be taken on in any order and ever intertwined.  The whole landscape is beautifully rendered and explorable, with seasons and day and night, and there is a vast plethora of beings with which to interact. It is a game with no clear ending and I can imagine that it would be possible to ramble aimlessly (metaphorically speaking) forever.
I'd had a long session the other day; well it was raining and besides I have so much time on my hands; I happened to have been scrapping with a couple of dragons, as you do, and looked out of the window. A Crow flew past and for a nanosecond, I thought it was another dragon.  You see - these games ar absorbing and somewhat dangerous when reality starts to blend with virtuality, but who am I to worry about such things.
Computer games are so very forgiving. I have been killed so many times in Skyrim, only to be given yet another chance and not even having to start again from scratch.
Sometimes I'd like to be a Catholic: do whatever you like and then confess and be absolved. It's rather like a computer game in some respects. You play, you sin, and then you own up and get a press of the restart button.  What is more they believe that when you die, you get an extra life.


No comments: