Friday 17 January 2014

Diamonds

So many people measure success in terms of monetary or material ownership. Those that have the most seem to be celebrated and looked up to, while those who have least are looked down upon and are not valued at all.
We own nothing. None of us owns a thing. We have temporary custody of all those things that we strive to gain and that is all.  Take away the material wealth and we are all the same; fragile and temporary biological entities, subject to the basic drives that make us survive and breed, thus ensuring the production of further generations.
I am nearer the end of my life than the beginning, and know that anything that I own will be passed on to my children or their children, should there be anything other than money, that they want.  Most of what surrounds me, will, like everyone elses' posessions be consigned to black plastic bags. The most valuable things, and really the only things that we can lay claim to, are our thoughts and memories. Inside my head is a catalogue of my life and all that is me. That is something that is hard to pass on and most of it will of course vanish in the same instant as my last breath. By writing this blog, I can at least set down some of what I have inside, and perhaps one day someone will read all this and wonder why I bothered.

No comments: