Monday 5 May 2014

Elite Phones and Computers - Do not go there.

This has been a strange week or so.  It began with a failure in my computer; a series of crashes due to kernel panic, whatever that may be, and led to me having to buy and fit a new hard drive. That was successful, though it did not seem to cure the problem.  Eventually I contacted a company that claimed to have nationwide branches and would collect and deal with the problem. The nice lady on the phone told me that there was a fixed fee for diagnostics and took my money. On a whim, I asked where they were and was told Manchester, which is of course not very close to here, by this time it was too late to back down and the computer was collected by courier the next day.
While my dear Mac was away, I finished watching Breaking Bad, leaving another hole in my life, and paced the floor until my machine came home.  Elite Phones and Computers  do not communicate well, but after a few days, I was informed that the repair would cost blah blah blah and so I agreed the payment.  A day later I was told that it was fixed and on its way home.  Five days later still, I called to ask where it was and was told that it would be sent that day. A mail told me that I must open the box to check for damage before signing for it as otherwise they could not be held responsible. The UPS man told me that I must sign before opening, so I signed and he evaporated. I opened the box and extracted my Mac, noticing that it was filthy and covered with fingerprints, but worse, the hinge mechanism was broken, leaving the screen facing down at the floor.  Wedging the screen in a manageable position I attempted to plug the mains lead in, only to find that the plug was bent and impossible to use. So I had my machine back, but in a worse state than it was when I parted with it. Needless to say, I was on the phone to Elite Phones and Computers and venting my spleen to someone on the switchboard.  They claim that the hinge was broken when they received it and ignored the state of the plug and the filthy condition. So now, I am financially worse off and my computer is a wreck.  Battle with Elite Phones and computers will continue but they are not having it back.



No comments: