Monday 9 January 2017

The sound of silence



One of the sad parts about getting older, is that one's ability to interact with the world diminishes. We slow down, we become more susceptible to everything. Our senses dim and abilities, both physical and mental wane and fade.

I struggle with short term memory at the moment, though it seems that long term memories are still intact,  I struggle to walk any distance,  I already have a plastic lens in one eye, an artificial hip, and have lost the hearing in one ear.  

We have had many discussions about mortality and approaching infirmity and I know that there are some things that I cannot and will not tolerate.  I could not cope with losing my sight or my hearing. I could not tolerate a life without music or books, and I will not go into a home of any description. I started my life in an institution and will not end it in that way.

There are so many people out there living lives that are intolerable to them. Some live for years trapped inside shells and asking for escape; the law of course will not allow assisted suicide and for some they do not have the ability to end their own lives, and need release from their intolerable situations.  The facility for dignified exits is not allowed in this country, largely due to the protests of groups with a strong religious leaning, most of whom are young and fit and able. None of them can possibly empathise with those trapped.

We should all be able to decide when we have had enough. The able bodied can make that choice, so why not everyone. Having an organisation like Dignitas would prevent so many botched attempts at suicide that leave people in a worse state than they were before.  I have an escape plan in place but I don't know if it will work; I guess that time will tell.






No comments: