Monday 23 June 2008

memories

This morning, I poured my muesli into a coffee mug! I am sure that I am doing more and more stupid things with every passing day. I wonder if this is normal for gentlemen of a certain age, or am I joining Terry Pratchett on the slippery slope to dementia.

Actually memory is not much more of a problem than it ever was. Mine tends to be selective I guess and I, selfishly remember the things that are important to me at the expense of things that are not.

This week I am redecorating the study. It’s a smallish room but by and large it is mine, and it is where I spend most of my life. I write there, I paint now and then, I dream there and I teach there. I also listen to music and visit virtual worlds. It is my sanctuary and where I feel happiest.

Ok I do come out from time to time and I do enjoy the company of others in reality, but given the choice between integration with Joe public in general or remaining where I am, there is no contest.

People in general, and I stress the generalism here, are becoming by and large quite unpleasant. Recently in the company of 80,000 others, there were stark reminders of the pure selfishness and lack of consideration for others. People are no longer polite, they push, they shove, they are aggressive, and utterly focussed on their own needs. Few open doors for others, the words please and thankyou have begun to vanish from the vocabulary, and the world in general seems to be becoming a far less pleasant place.

When I was a kid people were more considerate of others I am sure, or it that just a figment of my failing memory??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sanctuary

My land is bare of chattering folk;
The clouds low 'long the ridges,
And sweet's the air with curly smoke
From all my burning bridges.

by Dorothy Parker

We all need our Sanctuary....

:-)

Anonymous said...

As long as you don't forget how to rez, please. Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are mixing with the wrong people if you are happiest on your own?