Sunday 6 July 2008

life, don't talk to me about life

LIfe is strange. There are times when I think that it is quite ridiculous and am not surprised that people look for a meaning. I mean, what is the point of it all? We are born, we grow, we learn and some make a big impression on the world, but in the end we all die and for the majority of us, the world is no better, nor any worse for our passing.

Ok some of us choose to breed and so our own little cluster of nucleic acids, albeit in a shuffled up and diluted form, gets another spin of the wheel, but even then within a few generation, what made us unique will have spread and mingled so far, that our impact has been no more than a pebble dropped into a very large pond.

I am a great adherent to the ideas of Richard Dawkins, who among other things, maintains that we are simply the tools that our genes have assembled as a means of ensuring their care, survival and procreation. I know that this is an over simplification but for me it works. I often see myself as an assemblage of genes and i have done my biological duty, producing two wonderful children who in their turn, may or may not choose to become biologically successful.

One of the big changes that science has brought about is that people now do have that choice. Before modern contraception, the biological urge for sex ensured that people bred, as long as they were able to anyway. Those with the greatest drives were often the ones that produced most offspring and so their genes proliferated. Alas it seems that now the choices made for economic or other reasons mean that the intelligent, or genetically more able, are choosing to delay the breeding process or not bother at all, while those less well endowed genetically speaking, are not exercising the same choices, thus altering the balance in the composition of the gene pool.

Those of us who have been lucky enough to get this far, have become redundant. I know that I have nothing more to offer and can contribute nothing more to the world, at least nothing that makes any difference. I did just finish decorating my study, and while it looks ok now, I know that it is a temporary thing and if i were to drop dead this instant............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If each grain of sand were to say:
One grain does not make a mountain,
There would be no land.
If each drop of water were to say:
One drop does not make an ocean,
There would be no sea.
If each note of music were to say:
Each note does not make a symphony,
There would be no melody.
If each word were to say:
One word does not make a library,
There would be no book.
If each brick were to say:
One brick does not make a wall,
There would be no house.
If each seed were to say:
One seed does not make a field,
There would be no harvest.
If each of us were to say:
One person does not make the difference,
There would never be love and peace on earth.
You and I do make the difference,
Never let go of that thought......

:-)