Saturday 12 July 2008

Black bags

Is it just me? Or are black plastic bags really very poor these days? The other day while clearing the debris from my decorating adventures, I dropped some rubbish into a bag and it fell straight through the bottom. It wasn’t particularly heavy or sharp, the bag was just not good enough. Nowadays if I fill these things with stuff to take somewhere else, usually the end of the drive so that the refuse men can collect them, but frequently to the refuse tip itself, as they are not too keen to take some materials away, I struggle to put more than leaves into the things without sharp pointy thing sticking through, splitting the bag and allowing everything to fall out!

Things like black bin bags are probably made in China. Let’s face it, most of the crap that we are sold these days does come from there. I once vowed that I would never willingly buy anything made in the People’s Republic, but that is very hard these days. It would seem that they are taking over the industrial processes that produce all those little things that we “need” in 21st century living. Dammit I bought a new laptop the other day. Apple are so well known for quality, and now they are assembled in China! I almost sent it back, but I will wait for it to breakdown first.

Black plastic bags are important. They are a symbol which in the end signifies US. When we die, effectively our worldly things will end up in them, and not long after we have been carried out in our boxes, our goods will follow, hastily shoved into bags so that our next of kin can clear the house and sell it.

I don’t want all my worldly things falling out as the bags are dragged out to the end of the drive. I’d hate to think that my remnants were on display to the whole world. Maybe I will request cardboard boxes, both for me and my stuff, and maybe we can be incinerated together.

No comments: