Wednesday 11 February 2009

Itchy and Scratchy

I haven't been well for some time now. My normal strategy is to ignore things and hope that they go away, and by and large this works. On this occasion the symptoms have remained and I suppose i should be getting concerned. I have indeed booked an appointment to see a doctor, not my own GP who is always missing when I need to see her, but another who I happen to know and trust anyway. People keep telling me that the symptoms may be a sign of some other asymptomatic condition, and I suppose that is my biggest concern. The thought of yet another spell in hospital does not appeal at all, and frankly I'd rather not entertain the prospect. The first step has been taken however and tomorrow i will attend surgery and pour out the hisitory of my complaint. My guess is that he will listen and be as perplexed as was the last expert that I saw.

The problem is these hives, that keep appearing for no obvious reason. Please excuse me if i write down the symptoms, it helps me to clarify things and makes sure that I don't miss the important. It starts with an itch on my left palm. Always the left and never the right. Close inspection shows a tiny red subcutaneous spot that grows like a fungal ring leaving a raised white welt in the centre. Once established, others appear, moving to my right hand, the back of my head and so on. There is a symmetry to it, and each welt is matched approximately with one on the other side. This week it has gone from my hands and moved to my feet, which is far far worse. The welts itch so much that I cannot sleep and so I have spent the last week lying awake scratching myself raw and to no avail. Last night i took a large dose of sleeping pills- normal doses don't work on me, and I slept soundly without moving until light. The itch remains and tonight I will dope myself up again and hope for some sort of oblivion. It would be so nice to feel good for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

take care of yourself