Monday 9 September 2019

New experiences

I am at an age where there is pretty much nothing I need, new body parts aside. When it comes to birthday gifts, people tend to go for experiences and I have had a couple of them recently. The first was a gin making experience in a local distillery. They manufacture, on a smallish scale a gin called Greensand Ridge, and I must say that it is a brand that I quite like.

We were treated to a very pleasant and informative evening, culminating in our own choice of herbals from a very wide range, and the distillation of our own personal bottle. Lack of control on my part led to a the production  of a very aromatic 47% that actually tastes quite good but must be applied carefully.

Yesterday we had a lesson in sushi making at a local sushi restaurant.  Again the experience was interesting even though it was hard to follow verbal instructions, partly due to traffic noise and my poor hearing, and partly due to our Japanese instructor.  We played with sticky rice, sheets of seaweed, and bits of fish, cucumber and avocado for a very fiddly hour, at the end of which we each had produced a meal which was the combination of the above into a pretty arrangement with a huge emphasis on sticky rice. It was fun I suppose, and might have been more so if I actually liked sushi. I like avocado and cucumber but the rest of it I can happily live without.    I think that sushi for some, is rather like bottled water, or paper cups of Costa coffee; it is fashionable.


No comments: