Wednesday 15 December 2021

Plus ca change

 It has been a while. Here we are on the cusp of yet another Christmas and I stumble upon the settings for this old blog. I have been reading through some of the old entries, and although much has changed, so many things remain the same.

We now have a third grandchild. Jacob came along two years ago and is a real delight. Jamie and Jo are rightly proud of him. Oscar is now at secondary school and Matilda is in year 4 and loving school.

The Tories are cling on to power but the cracks are opening up and the festering malignancy that is the Conservative party is oozing everywhere. Boris Johnson must know that his days are numbered and the knives are out, sharpened and ready. Another corrupt and nasty candidate will take his place, and with a few soundbites will have the Tory faithful back in harness.  The Labour Party has been successfully assassinated by Keir Starmer and the right wing press, and so come an election, the unthinking and uncaring will probably put the Tories back in. The political climate is thoroughly depressing to say the least.

Trump came and went, but he has left a huge trough of supporters, steeped in right wing self obsession.

Then we have Covid. I remember when it first arrived, people were saying it would be gone by the summer, and I was saying that it is here for a long time. It certainly is here and adapting to whatever is thrown at it. Current thinking is that we have to learn to live with it.

Anti vaxers are everywhere, claiming that vaccinations is and infringement of their human rights, as is the wearing of masks. Such is the nature of society in Tory Britain. Everyone has rights and only some have responsibilities.

I haven't written much at all recently, I seem to have lost my enthusiasm. I have hundreds of thousands of words assembled in various places but nothing in my head. Getting old, I know is a privilege, but it does come with issues that are hard to deal with.

No comments: