Tuesday 4 September 2007

Time travel

I heard on the radio the other day, that some guy wants someone to give him 20,000 pounds, or was it 200,000? I can't remember, so that he can build a time machine. I don't know i f he has found, or ever will find, anyone daft enough to come up with the money, but I guess there is always someone who is both rich and stupid, so I wish him luck.

It has been said that time travel will never be a reality. This is based on the fact, that no-one has visited us from the future, so therefore, in the future there is no means of travelling to the past. If they ca only travel into the future, they'd have no way of getting back, so therefore the whole thing seems a bit unlikely.

What though, if we could travel in time? Would I want to go forward or back? There are days certainly when I would like to go back into the past and make changes to the things that I did or did not do, but on the other hand it would be interesting to look ahead and see what the future holds. I guess though, that knowing too much about the future, including the time and nature of one's demise, could have calamatous consequences, and would knowing what was going to happen, enable one to change the future? Maybe the future is only an illusion, much in the same way that the past is. We only really experience the present.

I can imagine our inventor friend picking up his money and vanishing, to a future that he already has planned, somewhere in the Caribbean. Punters beware.

No comments: