Monday 10 September 2007

Virtuality

I was trying to think hw long it is since I had a haircut. I know I toyed with the idea of shaving my head some while ago and it was a good few weeks before that. Needless to say I am in dire need now. I have gone off the idea of something like a grade one or less, what with summer being about done and all that, but having shorter hair makes aspects of daily life easier.

I have never been too bothered by my appearance, and have no "Style" at all. I dress for comfort and for me a pair of jeans and tee shirt is all I need to wear. I can wear a suit if I have to and I do have some othet clothes I think, somewhere, but as I see very few people anyway it doesn't seem to be of any importance.

This has carried through to Second Life, where one invents oneself again, and imagination is the only limit. I still tend towards black tee shirt and jeans and that again seems to be my comfort zone. Having said that, I met a lovely lady yesterday, who has talked me into doing something about that and I have already begun to redesign. I want to thank her for her words and her generosity in supporting me and I hope to make the most of her help. Oh that things were so easy in reality.

Change is hard. Change has a nasty habit of biting in all the wrong places and causing problems that one never even considers. We all live in boxes of our own construction and breaking out of them, while being liberating, can of course set dominoes falling that were best left undisturbed. The fallout from that can continue for years after the event and I guess that it takes a very selfish approach if that is to leave one unscathed.

I stepped out of my box once, and although I am back inside and the lid nailed shut, the aftermath is sustained. It echoes around me and I have a constant battle, attempting to disregard it. Being selfish can be hard too, though it seems to be no problem for some. I sometimes wish that I could disengage myself.

Meeting people in second life has so far been a wonderful experience and has done much to restore my faith in the goodness of people. For those out there who have never visited, it is worth a try; there is a new community out there and you too can remodel yourself, should you feel so inclined.

No comments: