Tuesday 27 May 2008

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

I feel completely drained.
I have had an interesting weekend, with visitors from the past descending one after the other, and as a result I am talked out and numb with nostalgia.

It is always risky to go back, and to spend time with people with whom you grew up but lost touch with years ago, has elements of risk, especially when they come to stay in your house. any trepidation I may have felt evaporated when Martin and his wife appeared. Talking to Martin seemed as natural as it did all those years ago when I was alive. It was as if we had picked up a conversation that abruptly ended in 1970. Ok we both look old and past it, but inside we are still the same people and the weekend was a timely reminder of the good times that we had as late teens. He was able to remind me of so many events and people that i have long since forgotten, and some that I have no recollection of even now and that is pretty scary. I always maintain that I don't ever forget people that come into my life, but clearly there are those who lacked the ability to stay in my head.

We talked almost without stopping for three days, interspersing with food and liquid refreshments, but the time went very quickly and now they have gone again and I am winding down after what has clearly been a stressful time albeit a pleasant one. I seem to have lost the habit of talking to real people and spend too much time alone. Hence the overwhelming sense of fatigue that has washed over me.

Now that the ball has been set in motion, it is possible that more contacts may be established, and who know? maybe a reunion of the lads may come to pass. It is more likely however that we may never meet again and that this weekend was more like the final twitches of something that has taken a long time to die.

No comments: