Monday 1 June 2009

Third time unlucky

I got through phases where nothing seems to go right. Yesterday was a bad day even by my standards, in fact te whole weekend has been pretty awful in terms of achievement. I had three jobs in mind at the start and as i sit here in a foul mood, none of those jobs have been completed. Oh I tried, believe me I tried.
The first involved a leaking toilet. I have diagnosed that the issue lies with the flushing unit which appears to be constantly dribbling, fortunately not onto the floor. First I made a vain attempt to replace the unit with the same. Of course that turned out to be impossible as the bloody thing was made in Sweden, just life everything else in this house. So after much searching and swearing I found something that should fit in the local B and Q store. It would seem however that in order to change the mechanism, I need to de-install the whole WC and try as i might i cannot get the bloody thing to shift. I have heaved and kicked and tried everything that I can but with not the tiniest shred of success. I have reassembled it leak and all. The sodding thing can wait.

The second job involved running an ethernet lead from the modem in the front room into my study. I want to take this through the loft to avoid the wires being everywhere. and so I ordered enough wire for that direct route plus a bit extra. I drilled the first hole through the ceiling and looked up in the loft only to find that area is boarded out and so in order to find that hole I need to empty the loft and take up most of the boards as they are tongued and grooved. I have a 20 m ethernet cable lying on my desk now and the loft is closed up again.

Yesterday was a sunny day and I have been meaning to build a decking platform outside the patio windows to make it easier to get in and out. I made careful measurements and drew a little plan. Another trip to B and Q got me the timber and fittings, and I spent most of yesterday sawing screwing and assembling. Then it came to digging four small post holes so that the thing could be concreted in. I lifted the slabs and carried them miles away to the other side of the house and got out my spade thinking that the hardest part was done. What do i find? the slabs were laid on concrete and I have no hope of digging one let alone four post holes.

To say that I am disillusioned is a bit of an understatement. I am wary of doing anything now as I know in my heart of hearts that whatever I do will fail! Story of my life really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take comfort in the fact that you write very well!

Paul said...

Thank you - i wish that I could write better. Guess i need more practice. :-)