Thursday 4 June 2009

Words words words

Writing every day is difficult. It is hard because it is a discipline and I have never really been very good at that. I resented anyone who attempted to enforce discipline on me and lack the strength of will to impose it upon myself. They say that to become a good writer it is important to write regularly, regardless of what you have to say. Even when ones mind is a blank, a word target should be met each day.

I don't suppose that I will ever achieve the dream of writing something worthwhile, though I am at last earning money from my scribblings. In the last two months I have accumulated 28 virtual dollars from this blog. Thanks to anyone who has clicked on the links and made that possible. I haven't actually received the cash and perhaps I never will because I'd have to go through a lot of form filling and providing bank details which is always a chore. I even have cheques in my desk that I never cashed, that is the reality of my idleness.

Today is an election day. We are allegedly voting for local council representatives and I suspect that the turnout will be low. There are only two people standing in this area, one is a Tory and the other an independent candidate. My instincts were originally to just ignore the whole process as a statement of utter disillusionment, but after a little soul searching, I have decided that whenever there is an opportunity to vote against a Tory then I will take it. I still remember the effects of the last Tory government and the tyranny of the Thatcher woman. The electorate as a whole tends to have a short memory and so we bounce from party to party in power, each with its own collection of failings attempting the impossible task of keeping all of the people happy all of the time.

The recent scandals involving MP expense claims are nothing compared to the systemic corruption that lies within the Tory benches, many of whose occupants have two or more jobs, enabling them to use their inside information to run large companies. One of the arguments about the expenses claims is that politicians have use the system to top up their salaries which by world standards are not great. It would seem however that as far as some are concerned, the MP salary is just a fragment of their real earnings. I'd like to know this - If being an MP is a full time job as so many claim, then how can they find time to do other jobs?

Perhaps I need to become an MP and then I'd have the time and the facilities to become a writer.

2 comments:

4P said...

slightly less funny, indeed more cynical... but as i have said i would clicked the ads.. even reading them.. my newfound interest in concrete will i am sure take priority over and beyond any other topic. i am grateful, though, that we have left plumbing behind us... i assume they assume you have no need for their services any longer?
of course, at the moment CONCRETE (mmmmm) is on everyones lips... and i feel sorry for those who do not have a deep and abiding passion for it.

Paul said...

It does grow on one doesn't it! The builders have about done now and they will make way for the measurers up and the prefabricators!