Tuesday 29 January 2013

Celebrity status

One thing that I loathe and detest more than anything else is reality TV, and the ongoing trend of bringing more and more of the so called real world into all of our lives through the TV screen.  The programs that I have been unfortunate enough to see, seem to focus on the poorer sections of society, placing people, albeit with their consent, under a microscope so that the rest of us can mock or even pity  them.

It seems from the little that I have seen, that the focus of much reality TV seems to be on the lack of education, that so many people seem proud of.  It appears that failing at school is always the fault of someone else.   I recently watched a programme that got together disparate people and got them to cook dinner for each other. These were professional people, and the only reason for watching was that a relative was involved.  It is an appalling program, clearly edited to show people up in the worst possible light, with a patronising over commentary.  Many people seek fame, maybe more so than fortune. To be on the TV allows one celebrity status, at least in their own mind, but why oh why do we have to be subjected to it more and more?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly, outside of the occasional good drama on television, I find there is very little worth watching, in spite of the myriad of channels on offer. I am seriously considering cancelling my cable and saving myself a tidy sum each month. Books are much more stimulating.

Paul said...

I agree - unfortunately though I can stay awake watching bad TV but not when reading a good book. Maybe it is the anger that keeps me conscious.