Thursday 4 January 2018

Bits and Bytes

Ok I missed a day already. See what I mean about resolutions; there is always something that gets in the way. Yesterday it was grandchildren, who are rather demanding of attention, usually both at the same time. My grandson, like me, is a fan of video games, and unlike me he is good at them.

My first brush with video games was a Sinclair Spectrum computer, with 8Kb of RAM. Programs had to be typed in on a basic keyboard, so you would spend more time typing than playing. The same was true of the BBC computer that followed; though it was a more powerful machine with 32Kb of Ram and a proper keyboard.

Nowadays I confess to owning and using a Playstation 3 and a Playstation 4 as well as two Apple Macs, an iPad and a smart phone. Yes I am a computer victim and am fully addicted.

Yesterday I was playing a game and proudly ,making a lot of progress, having practiced for quite a while. Then in comes the seven year old, who, never having played before, takes over with minimal instruction, and proceeds to make me feel both inadequate and stupid.

Children are so plastic and can adapt so quickly and we are getting left behind at an alarming rate when it comes to IT. However it is a worry that he has reached a level of addiction that has taken me a long long time to achieve. Thankfully next week he goes back to school and will have to tear himself away from screens for a while, and I will have no excuse for not writing.


No comments: