Saturday 6 January 2018

Signs of spring

Daffodils are already pushing through the waterlogged soil, and are the fist sign that spring is not too far away. Of course there is much winter left to endure, and who knows what the next few weeks will bring?

I am having a clear out at the moment, a sort of spring cleaning if you like. I am a hoarder, I can't throw something out if I think that it might have a use somewhere down the line, so although most rooms in the house are laden with books and likely  to remain so, my garage and workshop are now under attack. Not only is it filled with stuff, the stuff is also disorganised and largely redundant.

I have boxes of transformers and leads from previous electronic devices; most of which will never have any use. This week I have discarded dozens of SCART, phono, and telecom fittings, along with leads and drives that were only used on the very old Mac computers, I don't even know what those connections are called.  I found an old Zip drive complete with a set of discs that I have little memory of their contents; that and others like it have found their way into the bin. I have multiple duplicates of USB leads, mains leads and an assortment of audio and video connectors that will never be used again. So many things in my life are becoming redundant. I still have three complete HiFi systems, one of which I use in my study, albeit occasionally, another is boxed and stored in the attic and another is in the garage and does get played when I am working down there. I cannot bring myself to get rid of these. On day the ability too stream music or to play the store on the computer may not work and so there is an insurance. Life without music is unthinkable.

I hoard useful bits of wood, lengths of plastic and metal piping, plumbing and electrical fittings. Some of these will be going soon, but it is hard to think of those things as redundant.

So I am creating, or clearing space, and simultaneously making it easier to get rid of stuff when I have gone. At the moment what I have done is making very little difference I know, and besides space calls out to be filled. Who knows what will fill the void?




No comments: