Wednesday 11 July 2007

Reminders

What a wonderful world we live in. Al Qaeda are now threatening terrorist reprisals on the UK for bestowing an outdated and inappropriate "honour" on Salman Rushdie. The crime seems to be that the world of Islam has been insulted again. It is as well that we don't all respond to insults with attacks on innocent people, and I am sure that not all Muslims behave in this way, but it does seem that someone out there wants all Muslims tarred with the same brush.

Rushdie, as far as I know, was targetted for telling the truth, or his take on it, about the Muslim world. I admit to never having read any of his books, and so can only comment on reports that I have seen. Is it ever inappropriate to print the truth? especially in a country that prides itself on freedom of expression. I'd like to think that here at least, I can write whatever I want, and express my own views and my take on the truth. After all, no-one is forced to read my words. Islam is supposed to be a religion based on tolerance and peace. Where is the evidence for that?

Today's news is a reminder of why I loathe religion- all of it. It gives people an umbrella to hide behind, and a permit to justify whatever action they choose to take. Religious organisations should all be given "cult" status and avoided by anyone who wants to think for themself.

No comments: