Tuesday 20 November 2007

deluge

Today it is raining once more. The sky is grey and the ground waterlogged. I don't envy those that have to be out in it, especially those whose living depends on being in the great outdoors.

I am indoors of course and at present am sanding down the walls of the hallway. Dust is the order of the day and I am covered in it. Because i hate wearing a face mask, my lungs are pretty well inundated too, so no doubt I will pay the penalty for that at a later date. In between sanding sessions I take breathing breaks and dive into my study hoping not to take the clouds of dust with me. This is my bolt hole really and my access to the rest of the world. here I can sit and think, or sometimes just sit, and as long as there is electrical power i can communicate to people that I know and care about.

It struck me that as i blog away, there are plenty of others out there who at some time in my life have meant so much to me and yet now, i don't even know if they are alive or dead. In all probability many friends from the dim and distant past are no longer with us and to many, their passing has gone unrecorded. The same will happen with me. When i shuffle off this mortal coil, there will be some who will miss me, of that I am sure. But the majority of people that I have come across in my life will not even know that I have passed on, unless I have advance notice and can email some of them at least. But most of us die un-noticed by the majority of our friends and acquaintances and that is a little sad.

People drift into our lives all the time, most drift out again and may never leave a trace of their visit. Others stay and others still, leave and either take something with them or leave huge scars that are constant reminders of their passing. Everyone that we interact with touches us in some way, and in some cases people have touched me without ever having met in the flesh. Physicality is just a part of who we are, but the main part, the real us, is deeply rooted in the mind. It is the mind that collects the scars as well as the joys and the memories.

I am very lucky to have shared in the lives of some truly wonderful people. Many of whom will stay in my life as long as I breathe, and I celebrate the roles that they have played and the roller coasters of emotions that they have shared with me. None of them will be forgotten. Well not just yet anyway.

Even rainy days have their bright side.

No comments: