Thursday 1 November 2007

Reunions

Looking back over my blog history, I notice that I have been very inconsistent in the frequency of my entries. I am not sure why, though I guess that I have used this vehicle to gt things of my chest and by and large it has been of benefit. On the other hand there have been times when it has felt so utterly futile, and such a waste of time. However on balance I have to say that the plusses outweigh the minuses and I will try hard to get down to writing more.

I had got as far as College days, and I still see them as some of the most influential, if not happiest days of my life.

The re-union weekend went well and although the old college has long since gone the way of all things, the Halls of Residence are still there and still in use. Some sweet talking to the bursar, got us into the building and a very kind assistant gave us a tour, even letting us into our old rooms. How odd to stand in that room on the seventh floor, seeing a view that had changed little in all those years. The rooms had changed, not only did they seem smaller - they were smaller as they have added en-suite facilities that we never had. I think I preferred it the way it was, but then I would wouldn't I?

The city was much the same too, and many of the old haunts were still recognisable. We even had a Curry in the old Bombay Restaurant, no longer the Bombay but the food was excellent and the service wonderful.

Maybe in 40 years we'll have another reunion, but I don't suppose it will be in the same world.

No comments: