Saturday 24 November 2007

Music

Yesterday I did something that I haven't done in many months. I played my all time favourite CD, all the way through. The Division Bell is in my opinion the best thing that Pink Floyd ever recorded. I know that It is not really the original Floyd and that Waters' cutting edge is missing but that is all beside the point. The point is that I played it and did not need to turn it off part way through.

Music is evocative and there are so many pieces that have so many memories for me. Some are bad memories and some are the reverse, but most of my favourite music I can link to places, people or experiences in my life. A song can take me back to a point in time and enables me to conjure, smells tastes and even fingertip memories. Some pieces I associate with terrible times in my life and of course I avoid listening to them as some things are best left buried.

The Division Bell falls into a strange and bitter sweet category and that is why I have avoided it for a while. However i am glad that I have taken this step and can rekindle my relationship with a piece of work that has been underrated by many Floyd purists.
I did notice though that the disc is getting worn, the box it broken and i may soon have to replace it. Maybe, thinking about it, that would be the best thing to do in any case.

No comments: