Tuesday 25 March 2008

Terry Pratchett

I never used to like Terry Pratchett. I had seen his books advertised and heard people raving about how brilliant he was, but as soon as i saw Wizard or Witch in the title pages, i was immediately turned off and didn't bother to look any further. I know that this is a narrow minded approach to things, but I thought I knew what I liked and what i wouldn't like.

Such attitudes are quite common in people. How often do you hear people say - "I don't like that." and when asked if they have tried it, they say "No". I have always told kids to try most things and then make up their minds as to whether they like it or not. I think it might have been Oscar Wilde who said - "I'll try anything once, except for country dancing and incest."

To make decisions about likes and dislikes without experience is natural but so silly. How many people miss out on wonderful things in their lives without ever knowing what the experience is like?

Anyway, I did read a Pratchett novel at the recommendation of a good friend. And once I managed to suspend my disbelief for a second, i became absorbed and embroiled into the Discworld and his amazing relationship with reality or should i say Surreality.

His books are a delight, and the more you read, the more you get inside the creative genius that he is. Terry Pratchett could be described as one of the best living British writers, in that he probably reaches more people than anyone else writing today.

I find it so sad that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimers disease, and he must know that soon his prodigious output of novels will begin to diminish, and as his brain is eaten away, he will have no choice other than to slip away into his own inner world, and I hope that it proves as wonderful as his books.

Mr Pratchett, I have never met you and never will, but my heart goes out to you and I hope that you can stay with us for many years to come.

No comments: