Wednesday 3 December 2008

almost nothing

Well it is now December so i guess that it has every right to be cold and damp and miserable, and so it is by and large. However the sun has been sen now and then and that always brings a little cheer to wintery days.
On top of that, i had a phone call from a dear friend this morning. She has been busy and not well and i guess that we have both neglected each other for a while, so it was nice to catch up a little.
I seem to be locked into a domestic life at the moment and feel rather isolated from the world. It is of course my choice and i am happy with my own company most of the time. It is a habit though and staying at home can become too comfortable.
Where i sit in my office, I overlook nothing but a small patch of garden and a tall fence covered in foliage. The only distractions are the birds that come to feed at the table i provide for them, and the occasional silver tube that passes overhead, taking people to their various destinations. I can see why people become reclusive and must avoid that trap if I possibly can, but I have to say that loss of hearing does in itself produce a sort of isolation and just following a conversation can be very hard. In groups now, i have given up trying to participate. Any sort of background noise really tends to block out voices and people just do not understand that.
I realise that i have not much to talk about right now. It is not the greatest time of year for me, but at least the shortest day is in reach and after that we can look forward to the arrival of spring even if it is a long way off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how you can make 'nothing' sound so interesting!
Take care....
:-)

Paul said...

a compliment indeed - thankyou :-)