Thursday 11 December 2008

Shopping

I went shopping today. That is to say that I was taken to the shops and got to push the trolley. It doesn't happen too often but this morning I thought I'd go along and reinforce the reason why I don't get taken too frequently. As I wander around I tend to see things that I fancy and just drop them in with the essentials, and of course these things mount up. As a result, the shopping bill is always much greater if I go along. It isn't deliberate but it works and so i am rarely asked to go along.

Some people actually enjoy shopping - they look forward to it and wander around the various stores, spending money and accumulating stuff as if there was not going to be another chance. Our house is full of stuff that rarely gets used and i have no doubt that one day we will move again and the accumulated matter will get thrown away or donated to worthy causes.

I look forward to the day when all shopping is done online. Then there will be no need to mingle with the masses and will reduce the tendency towards impulse buying that is encouraged by clever people who arrange shop displays.

I still have yet to approach the prospect of gift shopping - that can wait until the 24th. By then many retailers will be so desperate to sell stuff that I might even save some money. Bah Humbug!!!!

No comments: