Monday 5 January 2009

action and reaction

Some things in life change, while others remain the same. One such thing seems to me to be the battle with the rat. Yes he/she/it is back and enjoying itself in my compost bin. Now and again he is too slow, or maybe just apathetic, and as i open the bin, there he is in all his scabby dishevelled glory, gazing at me before shuffling away down a burrow. If he had fingers, i am sure that he would be waving one at me.

As always i have resorted to poison - it remains untouched, and setting a trap. I have tried peanut butter and even a nice wedge of stilton as an attraction, but he studiously ignores it and the bait just rots in the trap. I know that I should just dig it all out and render the territory inert but I dread to think what i might unearth in the process.

It hasn't stopped the Israelis though. It seems that when they do things, there are no half measures, and now the Palestinians in Gaza are reaping the rewards of their government's concerted niggling at Israel itself. Sending random rockets into Israeli territory is a little like poking a lion with a stick, and if you want to indulge in such activity then you'd best have a backup plan or an escape route. It seems that the Palestinians have none and if the Israelis have their way, the Gaza Strip will be back in Israeli hands once and for all.

At least the rat is keeping a low profile and limiting his activities to the compost. Perhaps i'll back down until the spring, unless of course he decides to show his face in the garden. Should that happen I think maybe I'll call in the tanks.

No comments: