Wednesday 14 January 2009

Fads and fancies

Thank you to the dear friend who, after yesterday's posting sent me a recipe for pigeon pie. I have to say that it sounds delicious and has to be worth a try. Having said that, in line with the many variations on Sod's law, have i seen a pigeon since? Of course not, and anyhow, I'd still have to catch them, and worse, kill and prepare them. I think I could if I had to, but I am not really very good at killing things.
I know someone, OK he is from New Zealand, so is bound to be odd, who, will not eat anything that he would not kill. So he eats chicken and fish and maybe rabbit, but draws a line at pigs, sheep and cattle. Personally I can't really see much difference. Meat is meat and there are people who are quite happy to kill and butcher so that the rest of us can eat well. The mammals that he refuses to eat would not even be there had it not been for their nutritional and commercial values. They would all have been killed off long ago.
I have other acquaintances who are vegetarians and even Vegans, and of course that is their choice and their preferences must be respected. It does irk me a little though, that when a vegetarian comes to dinner, that we always ensure that a vegetarian option is available or that the meal itself is geared towards their particular fancy. Does the reverse apply? Of course not. Whenever did anyone eat meat in the home of a vegetarian? It seems that for some, vegetarianism is a sort of religion, and whenever you mix religion into anything, you come up with something bordering fanaticism.
Anyhow i won't continue along that line.
I'd just like to say that the rat seems to have vanished for the time being, so please do not send recipes for Rat soup, Fricassee of Rat or Rat au Van (sic). I remember Blackadder IV very well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come to my garden!
They are lined up along the fence (three of them) as I write.
One attacked my poor rabbit last week.
They seem to love rabbit food!
Glad you are feeling better.....