Monday 20 April 2009

Adrenalin

The Easter holidays are over and things are back to normal. I will get back into my daily routines and once again become acclimatised to my own company. Normally we'd have gone to France for a short break but the exchange rate has made that a much less affordable prospect and so it was a holiday at home. I do love France, and I have always found the French people very friendly. The roads are so much better than ours and there is so much less traffic. The food can be wonderful and the scenery spectacular, and on top of all that we usually fill the boot of the car with wine. Now our wine stores are almost gone and supermarket special offers will have to become the norm until France becomes affordable.
I love travel, but have never been in a position to do so without being very careful with money. I suppose i have never been poor, at least not since i was a child, but I have never been well off either. Journeys have had to be saved for and have always been on limited budgets. I often think that if I did have a lot of money then I would spend it travelling. Most material things I already have or I don't want and so in terms of belongings there is nothing that I want. Mostly what I crave are things that are no longer easily accessible. Excitement I guess is the main item on my shopping list.
I was thinking this morning about exciting events in my life, and I guess that most of them were associated with dangers. There was a time when I'd have a go at anything, but that phase of life seems to be over and vicarious pleasures are feeble in comparison. Being scared can be very invigorating and the adrenalin rush associated with that is an addiction. As we age I suppose we become more sensible and aware of our physical limitations, and that is, like habit, a great deadener.
I don't think i want to be scared any more as the kinds of things that scare me most are associated with a failing body, but some excitement of some sort wouldn't go amiss.

No comments: