Tuesday 28 April 2009

Golf

I am a member of a golf club. I pay my dues every year and then proceed to find lots of excuses not to play. Either the weather is bad or the course is full, or more often i have no-one to play with. That is a feeble excuse i know but it is one that I use a lot. I am not a competitive player anymore but it is a social game and plodding around, hacking at the ball and searching through the bushes for the wayward shots is not a lot of fun by yourself. I have just got back from the course after having played a round by myself, in fact the course was more or less empty and i enjoyed the walk, if not the rather indifferent golf that went along with it. Golf courses are wonderful havens of wildlife and at this time of year most are at their best. The Rhododendrons are emerging and the bluebells are in full bloom. The grass is green and lush and I have to say that it was a pleasure to be out there. very year I go through the motions of leaving the club as it would be so much cheaper for me to play per round, but on days like this, I realise that I am fortunate to be able to wander this piece of real estate whenever I want. Ok the golf costs me bout a pound per shot at the moment but I promise to make a greater effort in the future.

No comments: