Wednesday 29 April 2009

Ever hopeful

I am not a gardener. That would take much more energy and expertise, not to mention dedication, than i can generally muster. I do love to make things grow though. I love planting seeds, taking cuttings, thinning out and potting on, all in the confines of the greenhouse. There my plants are safe and secure and get loving care and attention. As soon as they go out into the garden however they are out of my hands and into the land of the slug and the weed. Weeds are very successful and are the result of millions of years of evolution. They thrive on neglect and so therefore in my hands they do really well. Weeds are really only plants that grow where they are not required by us and so by definition, a rose bush in the middle of my courgettes would be a weed. There isn't one of course, though i do have a surplus of courgette plants and may insinuate some of them among the well tended flora that are not my responsibility.
I am always optimistic (yes you did read that right!) when it comes to getting things going. Lat year i managed to produce a multitude of pomegranite plants, some of which are still going strong. This year I have a surplus of morning glory and today i planted the seeds of Papaya. Tropical fruits can be started but rarely come to much but I remain undaunted. At least it keeps me out of mischief and away from the computer for a good part of the day.

No comments: