Monday 6 July 2009

A fresh start?

It has been an odd few days here. Since I last wrote, I have been to a funeral and a Portugese restaurant, and of the two the funeral was probably more pleasant. I had to put on a jacket of course and some shoes and socks, something that I rarely manage to do in the summer months. The funeral was for Bill, and a lot of old faces were in attendance as i expected there to be. Sitting in a church is never the most comfortable of experiences for me and friday was a hot day. As the gobbledegook continued , I sat and squirmed in my uncomfortable seat and equally uncomfortable clothing feeling as much out of place as it is possible to feel. The service was dull, and even the vicar's attempt as a synopsis of Bill's life lacked any real spark. I spent the hour, looking at the assembled throng and trying to figure out who most of them were. Prayers were uttered, hymns were sung and finally Bill was carried out in his wooden suit and we all emerged into the sunshine and could reacquaint ourselves with those we hadn't seen for years. Pledges were made to not leave it so long or at least not until the next one of us pops off and we gradually dispersed leaving Bill to be buried in his garden. That struck me as being odd but I guess that is as good a place as any.
The pub was the next port of call and a swift pint or two were raised in Bill's memory before we headed home for an afternoon doze.
While we were on our way home, there was an armed robbery in the town. It took place in broad daylight and was filmed and photographed by many tourists. Three young men with a gun and sledgehammers smashed the window of an expensive jewellers and made off through the narrow high street with a few watches. They are still on the loose and are likely to have got away with it.
The evening found us at the Portugese restaurant, which was new to me and as it turned out was a very mediocre and overpriced venue. having to wait an hour between starters and main course was not good and the food when it arrived was ordinary and my chicken was undercooked.
So those were the weekend highlights I guess. In between somewhere, i have cut and pasted the blog entries into one document and i find that I have around 300 pages of stuff without images. What to do with it now though? Maybe I'll bind it into a book and start all over again.

No comments: