Thursday 23 July 2009

Singing

There are few sounds as sweet and evocative as a skylark singing as it hovers above its territory in the early morning. Such things were once common, and when the world was a quieter place we were surrounded by the songs of so many different birds. If you take the trouble, you can learn to recognise each of them and that can enrich your days.

Singing is very important. Birds sing for many reasons, but mainly it is about territory or attracting a mate. Humans too sing for many reasons. We sing to our children to soothe them or to entertain them or even to encourage them. Children are naturally musical and love to make noises. Children in primary schools sing heartily, be it hymns or just songs for the sake of it. When I started teaching, kids even sang in school assemblies.

I used to love singing. I remember the school radio programmes, "Singing Together" and "Rhythm and Melody", both of which were highlights of my primary school education. When i went to Grammar school, one of my favourite lessons was music, and in those lessons we would sing as well as listen to wonderful music that was food for my imagination.

I even joined the school choir, well ok it was because there were lots of girls there, but I did enjoy a good sing. We'd do the odd concert and of course the annual carol concert, and I can still remember the thrills of being part of a massive and wonderful sound.

I sang through college. I was a member of the folk club, and we'd always sing along to the popular songs. I met Annie and together we'd sing for hours, in her room or in mine and eventually she persuaded me to join her singing at other folk clubs and even in the college revue. The feeling of holding an audience and receiving applause was like a drug and left us wanting to do it again and again.

I left college and when I came to the Island, joined the local choir. We'd perform several times a year and though I never learned to read music, I loved the challenge of new pieces and working towards the final production.

The human voice has tremendous power. It can infuriate, enrage, enthuse, and enrapture. It can motivate, move, and communicate emotions. Singing gives one a freedom of expression and allows one to vent and release. It is a liberating experience and is part of being human. Some people have the most wonderful voices; my friend Holly is one example. Her voice has the ability to reduce me to tears and that takes some doing.

I think back to my boyhood and the solitary wanderings through the countryside, and i can hear the skylark as clearly as if it were real. I can smell the grass and the wild flowers and feel the sun on my skin. I knew the sounds of all the birds then, but I have forgotten many things, including how to sing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not learn to sing again? We are never too old for pleasure!

Paul said...

Some things are best left in the past.

Anonymous said...

As long you find pleasure in other things in the present.