Thursday 9 August 2007

To be, or not

I am thinking about shaving my head. Now there is an interesting thought, for me anyway. I am trying to think of reasons why I shoudn't.

I don't know why I wrote that, I suppose it was the first thing that sprang to mind and, like most days, i have no preconceived idea as to where this is going. For me the blog is like my normal day. I don't often plan anything, it simply rambles on and finds its own conclusion.

It's Cowes week, but that too is drawing to a close. The town is full of people, all there for their own reasons, some for sailing and others for various nefarious purposes, but many for just a family day out or to enjoy all day drinking in the sunshine. We had the pleasure of armed police the other day, the reason being that the Israeli Ambassador was in town. I shudder to think of the consequences of machine gun fire in the tiny and crowded streets.

There are representatives from all over the world, and for once it feels like a multicultural society. Money is flowing in a torrent from the punters pockets into the tills of the town, and the local traders are smiling from ear to ear. It is after all the one week when they can make enough to see them through all those winter monday mornings.

I like Cowes week, though a lot of people that I know don't. They even go so far as to go on holiday until sanity returns, and some even rent out their houses for 4 figure sums. These are family homes, not second or third properties, and so it may be a case of camping out somewhere or going to stay with Mum. It's all part of the grey economy assocaited with big festivals.

It's a great time for photography, and watching people of all shapes and sizes doing all sorts of things. I was accosted by a sailor yesterday who mistook me for press. He wanted to sell me some photos that he had taken of a Yacht losing its mast. Now, I can think of some interesting situations that might have tempted me a little, but broken masts are everyday events, and like this ambling nonsense, not at all interesting. I still don't know why he mistook me for a newspaper man. Maybe I should shave my head, but then I might get mistaken for Patrick Stewart - I should be so lucky!!!!

No comments: