Thursday 30 August 2007

Teaching practice 1

Ok back to the point. Year one at college and the slow and painful growing up process that I guess never ends.

The college itself was small enough for everyone to more or less know everyone. I think there were only something like 700 places altogether and it wasn't hard to be on nodding terms with most.

Through the sports teams and other societies as well as fellow residents in hall, I soon gathered many friends and became part of a community, in a way that I had never experienced before. My enthusiasm for life was probably at its peak and I was up for everything and anything. I won't talk about relationships and the like, as it wouldn't make interesting reading and besides I'd hate to forget someone!

Lectures were ok, although I am pretty sure that the only time we learned anything about education was when we were sent out on teaching practice. This was a baptism of fire, as after only six weeks in college, we were all sent out into schools for the first of three placements over the course. The idea was, I suppose, to find out early on, the ones that were just not cut out for it, and there were a number of friends who never returned after that first placing. We assumed that they had left, rather than being eaten by the children.

The whole thing was very scary. We had no say in where we went, and I found myself posted overseas. I had never heard of the Isle of Wight and had no idea of its location, but come the day, a number of us, bags packed, headed for the ferry and for our six weeks in schools.

We were placed into digs, run by two ancient spinsters, who hated students but loved the rent. There was another woman tenant who continually played the theme to The Good The bad and the ugly, and somehow that seemed appropriate if bloody annoying.

I was sent to a primary school, and although i adored the kids, I quickly realised that I was not suited for primary school life. It went ok and my tutor was satisfied that I'd make the grade, and what is more I enjoyed my time there. I don't remember very much of what I did or even the staff, but at the end of the time, I realised that I could, if i had to, manage a classroom.

That being done, we all went back to college in time to end the term and go home. Something that I was not looking forward to. I had no money left and so had to hitch hike my way back, and i seem to recall that it was raining that day, and it took hours to get a lift. However I did get home eventually and redefined the word homesick - to me it meant sick of home and it hit me very quickly. I wanted nothing more than to be back at college with the freedom that it offered.

Catching up with friends at home made me realise that a gulf was opening up between us and that it was unlikely ever to be bridged again. They were moving on in their directions and so was I. I felt that their paths were likely to be straight and that I had yet to find one.

No comments: