Wednesday 29 October 2008

Normality

It seems a while since I wrote anything at all. I seem to find the need to express myself fading as time goes by. Partly I think that this is about laziness, but also because I find that as I get older, I seem more and more out of harmony with those around me. I really don’t set out to be different, but I seem to find myself in small minority groups on so many issues of the day.

I am not easily persuaded by others, unless they can really provide me with convincing evidence to back up their arguments, and please please never try to sell me anything.

There is a perversity in my nature that makes me go in the opposite direction to any flow of opinion or fashion and that I guess is what alienates me from people in general.

I just came back from a weekend visiting my daughter and son in law. They seem to have absorbed the misfortune that spoiled their holiday in New York, and are looking to the future with renewed optimism. It was good to spend some time with them and to be able to do some of the odd DIY jobs that busy young people never seem to be able to get around to. Us oldies still have some uses, and I was able to show them how to put up wallpaper, and to replace a broken window pane. I feel so much better for having seen them

The crunch has continued to crunch, the rich have got richer still and the poor as always will feel the pain more than anyone else, though I fear that many small businesses and even some large ones may collapse before things get any better.

Hungary is the latest European economy to teeter and it is vital that the rest of Europe should step in and prevent that situation from getting any worse. When one country collapses, many more will follow.

Anyhow I said that I’d try to be upbeat and I will say that the sun is shining today, and there is not a cloud in the sky. My mother is feeling better, and my sister’s broken rib, continues to heal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I am glad that things are improving with your family.

Anonymous said...

I like 'upbeat' too.....
The same sun was shining here but now seems to have disappeared...
Send it back when you have time!
:-)

Kathie said...

Discovered your blog this evening. Hope all your family situations are much improved. Enjoyed checking out the Isle of Wright. Been wanting to visit the UK for years. Now that the kids are all grown and gone, maybe that will happen someday.
Blessings from Costa Rica