Tuesday 7 October 2008

Please Hold!!!

I have been without an internet connection for a week. Dealing over a phone line with an ISP is not something to be recommended, though I have to say that the persons with whom I have been in long and tedious conversation have been very good at their jobs. They are well trained and handle customers politely and reassuringly, though when you have spoken to a dozen or more over a few days, you realise that they are rather clone like and respond in an almost Pavlovian way. Each one gives the feeling that they actually care about your problem, which of course they don’t, but even so, it is very hard to get really pissed off with them as individuals.

What does really annoy me though is the system that passes you on from one department to the next with of course the inevitable period of time “on hold”. I used to love Beethoven’s sixth symphony, but having heard it almost without a break over a crackly phone line this week, I think I may give it a miss for a while.

Anyhow, as I write this in WORD, in eager anticipation, a technician is replacing the line to the house in the hope that my online world will soon be restored.

I have felt deprived all week and only managed to catch up with email by visiting a friend, and I do hate to impose on people.

It is only when disconnected for a period of time that you realise how dependent that you have become. I know all about cold turkey now, and have been like a headless chicken, finding all sorts of displacement activities. My desk has been tidied, retidied and messed up again. My bookshelves have been re-organised and I have thrown away so much rubbish.

I have tried and failed various computer games, and got frustrated with them too. I have shredded tons of garden waste and tinkered with a little writing, but I hve not settled to a damned thing.

I have missed friends and online shopping as well as my daily news fix, and my fantasy football updates. I have missed catching up on the odd TV and radio programs that I don’t get to watch live, and I have even neglected my blog. I could have written in word of course as I am now, but somehow my heart hasn’t been in it.

I have everything crossed in the hope that soon I will have my lifeline reconnected. He is running a few tests and I should know within the hour. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are HERE:) again:)I do really miss our talks.
Lilly

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are back too Puc!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
:-)
All's right with both worlds now....
lol