Tuesday 15 January 2008

changes

I have made a decision. This year, i am going to try much harder to be positive. It won't be easy for me, but I am going to make huge efforts to avoid blogging when my mind is in the dark places that I sometimes find myself. Although I feel that when i am there, in the slough of despond, my mind does seem more focussed and I can write more fluently, (some might say effluently!) I know that I can be very negative. I will try to put the bad things away and maybe my words will be easier to digest.

I have been trying to follow the political events in the USA, and watching the front runners in the Democrats struggle to elect a potential president. I don't know a Caucus from a telegraph pole, but have been intrigued by the antics of the two contenders battling it out and weakening themselves and each other in equal proportions. Like many people outside America, and also many people inside, I hope that the next presidential elections will see a return to a Democrat government, and a huge turn around in foreign policy as a result.

Recent events though give more concern for worry than for hope. In order for a Democrat to be elected president, America will have to choose between a Woman, and a Black man. I don't think that middle America is likely to be ready for either of those choices. The Bible belt must already be panicking and will be ready to vote for anything as long as it prevents the democrats from getting back in.

Personally, i believe that either Obama or Clinton would be a big improvement on what they have now, but at the same time, like Bush, whoever holds the keys to the white house will be a puppet of the vested interest administration, who are owned and driven by the big corporations. Changes may not be quite as drastic as we would all like them to be.

Change is sometimes harder than it appears to be, and in order for that to happen, an individual must really want it to. The same is true of peoples. I hope that the average American wants a change and sees the need for that.

No comments: