Thursday 31 January 2008

meetings

I should be in a meeting right now. It is at the community club, literally within spitting distance along the road. I am hiding and refusing to attend. When I left work, I decided that never again would i mark students work, and never again would i attend pointless, bureaucratic meetings.

I really hate any meeting that involves more than 4 people. I choose four as a fairly arbitrary number, but fundamentally, as each person has an opinion, to which they are entitled, but the trouble is, that they all want to express it! I have been in meetings with twelve people with at least 15 opinions and discussions become meaningless, pointless and so fricking frustrating. All that ever came out of such gatherings was more work, and copious minutes that no-one ever read.

The most productive meetings involve the least people. I find that discussions with myself yield amazing results.

Oh well, by now it should be over, so i think I will wander round and find out what they have decided they want me to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious as to what type of meeting and committee you are referring to? But as a person who fully expects to be 'meetinged to death'one, I concur with your observations whole-heartedly!

Anonymous said...

....................