Wednesday 23 January 2008

vegetables

I am an atheist. I do try however, not to belittle or disrespect others for their religious beliefs, and would certainly never feel the need to go door to door trying to convince others that my viewpoint is the right one. I feel no need to check in with an imaginary friend before I do anything and certainly have no wish to seek out other atheists and have meetings in expensive buildings, in order to feel that I am living my life in the way that I should.

Vegetarianism seems to me to be a form of religion too. Have you noticed that, whenever a vegetarian comes to dinner, you have to provide a special vegetarian meal for them? What happens when you get invited back? Do they provide a non vegetarian dish for you? Like hell they do! Eating with vegetarians is like partaking in the last supper, and though I have nothing against vegetables, I have met many in my time, having some sort of choice is always nice, and having someone else's philosophy stuffed down my throat does not appeal much.

Some vegetarians are so self righteous, and have all sorts of reasons not to consume meat. I have yet to find one who does not wear leather shoes though.

Ok i can see the ecological point of eating vegetables. It takes a lot less land to provide vegetables than it does meat, and of course mass production of animals has become a very unsavoury business, with veal crates, battery hens, pigs that never see daylight and so on, not to mention the methane that cattle produce, adding to the greenhouse effect, but at the same time, where would we be without those animals. If we didn't eat them, they would not be there. Not many people want cows as pets, and fewer still a bull. The world would change significantly and there would be no need to keep green fields anymore. They would soon fill up with council estates, providing cheap homes for the fast breeding population and with all the pulses that they'd have to eat, farting would become an olympic event. We'd all be eating sawdust and tofu sausages with quorn based bacon. (That stuff is so revolting!)

Now i am sure that there are plenty of people out there who are closet vegetarians, and who do not conform to my own personal stereotype. I wish them well and would never try to feed them meat. Now i have written this, I don't suppose that they will be offering me vegetables either. At least I hope not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Don't you know that meat is murder?",
The dippy hippy cried.
So, I hit him with a leg of lamb -
And sure enough,
he died.