Thursday 31 January 2008

Yuk

I am drinking a cup of coffee after having been to a friend's house, to disconnect his washing machine. He is moving tomorrow and as he is partially sighted, he couldn't see the washing machine let alone the plumbing. I feel a bit guilty for writing this but it won't stop me. Once i begin, I just can't seem to stop myself.

I had to come home quickly and wash my hands, I felt like i should have a hot bath, but as we don't have one, i couldn't. His house is, to say the least, filthy. While finding the electrical socket, i discovered that the kitchen cupboards are infested with mice, and the only reason I can imagine why there were not more of them is that half of the space is wet, and the rest, just unimaginably filthy. The carpet in the kitchen is probably designated as an area of Special Scientific Interest and i'd guess may have the makings of a wildlife sanctuary. It seems capable of independent movement and like pub carpets in days of old, it sticks to the feet.

The house smells so bad, I feel like retching every time I go in, and cannot wait to escape. It was not always thus, and it seems that as his sight has deteriorated, he has completely let go and abdicated any sort of responsibility for the care and attention of both the house and himself. It is so sad, and as i write this i feel guilty that I cannot do anything to help him. I know in my heart of hearts, that the now pristine house that he is moving into tomorrow will gradually go the same way, and I don't envy the lady who is letting the house. Equally i don't envy his ex wife who is later on this week, moving into the squalour that he will be leaving behind. I think the kindest thing would be to set fire to the place - it would certainly improve the smell.

No comments: