Wednesday 11 March 2009

French peasant food

In the middle of cooking a Coq au Vin for a dinner party this evening. Bad timing really as there is a big match on tonight and i will miss it. It is my own fault of course, I should learn to listen more effectively and take notice of what I am being asked before i say yes or just mumble assent which is the usual response. Anyway the main course is simmering away nicely and I just hope that I remembered the recipe correctly. There is another failing on my part. I never read instructions for anything, and that goes for recipes too. Well i might read one at first and then my instincts take over and I do things my own way. I rarely get any complaints about my cooking but then maybe people are too polite.
As I write, the pigeons are back, squabbling over the remaining grains in the bird feeder and each time i look at them, Julie's recipe for pigeon pie looks more like a reality. I guess i could trap them easily enough but could i kill and dress them? That is another matter entirely. Dismembering the shop bought chicken was hard enough.
It always goes against the grain to use a whole bottle of wine for this dish, bust as it is only mid day, the temptation to sample it was very weak and I managed to resist it. I'll leave the Brandy until later though as that might be harder to resist.

No comments: