Monday 30 March 2009

Waiting

I had almost forgotten the wonder of live theatre, and then last thursday I went to see Waiting for Godot at the Theatre Royal in Brighton. The smell of the greasepaint and the roar of the crowd were there, and i was transported instantly back to the days when, whilst young and full of the urge to try anything, I'd tread the boards. I played a role in this play many years ago, and the experience left a lasting impression. I was amazed at how many of the lines I could remember and the faces of my fellow actors came to life as soon as I sat down.
This production was wonderful. Sir Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup brought Beckett to life in a way that I didn't think was possible, and to see these great actors in such an intimate environment was an experience to treasure.
The play is billed as a tragicomedy, and Beckett's very clear stage directions were adhered to pretty rigidly. The audience was spellbound and whilst amused by the antics onstage, we were absorbed by the pathos of the non existent plot and by the sheer futility of the human condition. Who is Godot? that was never made clear by Beckett, and as he never turns up we are left to make up our own minds. I believe that there is one human mentality in which many people trudge their way through life hoping that their own particular Godot will be there at the end of the path. Beckett of course believes that he will never turn up. Perhaps he doesn't exist.
I love theatre, I love the interaction between the play, the players and the audience and I revel in the sheer brilliance of the professional actor who can make each and everyone a part of what is going on. I can't wait until the next show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there is a local theatre amateur theatre company you could join, and once more become part of the magic. I have a friend who did just that in retirement, and she has loved every minute of it.

Paul said...

If only I had a mind that could remember things like lines :-)