Monday 2 March 2009

Antiques Road Show

I never deliberately set out to watch many TV shows, and the Antiques Rod Show is not one that I would plan to spend time with. However, it seems to be on at a time when I have little else to do and consequently I get absorbed into it from time to time.
For the uninitiated, this show is a travelling bunch of experts who invite members of Joe Public to bring along their treasures to be scrutinised, discussed and eventually valued. This is where great delight is taken in telling the world that you bought this terrible painting at a car boot sale for a few pence, only to find that it is worth thousands of pounds.
I have fond memories of watching an episode of this show while getting pleasantly drunk on Guinness and turning the valuations into a stupid game that I lost. That however was a long time ago.
It strikes me as an interesting insight into aspects of human behaviour. Why do people take their things along to the show? Is it just to get on TV? I know that some people love the thought of being on the screen. i can think of few things that I'd like less, but that is me. At the end of the day it seems that it is all about the valuation. An item that may have a wonderful history, that turns out to be worthless seems to have little air time, yet the junkshop bargains that are worth fortunes seem to grab everyone's attentions and imaginations. Very few owners admit to wanting to sell their posessions and yet everyone is obsessed by the monetary values, and it strikes me that there are many people who fill their homes, like magpies, with things that they see as valuable.
I own nothing that is valuable, nor do i wish to. Valuable items in one's home are a liability, and after all you are just taking care of them for someone else. The older I get, the less my interest in acquisition of things becomes. What I value most, one cannot put a price on. Family, friends and memories are the real treasures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the most wonderful memories are held in the smallest of treasures with no monetary value whatsoever.
Memories can never be destroyed, stolen or broken without your permission. These are the treasures I choose to grow old with.

Paul said...

Then we have something in common :-)